Car Care Tips
Improve Your Gas Mileage
Here are a few suggestions that will improve fuel economy:
- Avoid extended periods of the engine idling.
- Accelerate smoothly. Push on the gas pedal like there is an egg under it.
- Minimize the vehicle’s load. Remove anything unnecessary from the storage area.
- Keep the tires inflated properly. Check the tire pressure weekly, especially during cold weather.
- Operate the transmission in Overdrive, unless you are towing something.
- Use the cruise control to maintain a steady rate of speed.
- Avoid high speeds. Higher engine RPMs consume more fuel. You may use 10-15 percent more gasoline to go 65 MPH instead of 55 MPH.
Keeping Your Vehicle Dependable
Here are a few suggestions to keep your car dependable:
- Check the engine oil regularly, it keeps the internal engine parts lubricated and cooled.
- Use only the engine only specified for your engine. This information is usually on the oil fill cap.
- Check all the fluid levels under the hood; brakes, engine coolant, power steering, transmission and add the correct fluid if any are low.
- Have the battery tested once a year and replace when recommended. No need to wait until the car does not start.
Recommended Vehicle Maintenance
Performing regularly scheduled maintenance reduces repair costs, avoids untimely breakdowns, extends the vehicle life and protects your investment.
Follow the recommendations in your owner’s manual or consult an automotive professional for guidance on the correct service intervals for your vehicle. How the vehicle is used has to be considered when setting up maintenance schedules for the following:
- Engine oil and oil filter change.
- Tire rotation, wheel balance and wheel alignment.
- Cooling system flush and fill.
- Brake system inspection.
- Air filter replacement.
- Cabin air filter replacement.
- Fuel filter replacement.
- Fuel injector cleaning.
- Spark plug replacement.
- Transmission fluid and filter service.
- Timing belt replacement.
Here are a few suggestions to keep you safe and avoid accidents:
- Check all the lights; headlights (low and high beams), tail lights, brake lights, turn signals (front and rear), and back up lights.
- Check the horn.
- Keep the windshield washer fluid reservoir full.
- Adjust the windshield washers to spray the windshield.
- Inspect the windshield wiper blade condition and replace annually. Before the rainy season.
- Make sure the vehicle has a spare tire and tool kit necessary to install the spare tire.